You may benefit from ASeTTS services if:
- You have faced war-related trauma, torture, or persecution before you came to Australia;
- You are having problems in your life that relate to refugee trauma and/or your migration experience;
- You would like someone to assist you in addressing these challenges.
You can help a client or loved-one connect to ASeTTS services
Helping to link someone to ASeTTS services is a meaningful and compassionate way to assist them. You may know someone or work with a client who:
- You believe may have faced war-related trauma, torture, or persecution before they came to Australia;
- You believe they are having problems in their life that relate to refugee trauma and/or their migration experience;
- You feel that they would like someone to assist them in addressing these problems and/or link them to other supports
What are the signs and symptoms to look for?
You or someone you know may be experiencing the following:
- Sleep problems or nightmares;
- Intrusive memory or flashbacks;
- Overwhelming feelings of anger and sadness;
- Feeling nervous and not understanding why;
- Not wanting to be around other people;
- Not wanting to be around reminders of the past;
- Poor appetite;
- A lack of energy;
- Feelings of mistrust.
What about children and youth?
You may be concerned or worried about children and young people if:
- They have some of the same difficulties described above;
- They are withdrawn, sad, nervous or aggressive;
- In their play, they act out bad experiences they have had;
- They are very distressed when they are separated from their parents.
How can ASeTTS help?
- Services are voluntary, therefore consent for the referral must be provided for any person;
- Our services are free of charge for all clients;
- We keep discussions private and confidential;
- We support client rights;
- We can work with interpreters if needed or requested;
- People have the choice to change an interpreter if they are not comfortable with the interpreter allocated.
To refer a client to ASeTTS, please call us on (08) 9227 2700 or go to our Make a Referral Page here.