The Association for Services to Torture and Trauma Survivors (ASeTTS) is a membership based incorporated body. We welcome, as members, people who have an interest and a passion for the work that we do. This includes helping victims of torture and trauma from refugee and refugee-like backgrounds rebuild their lives. By becoming a member, you demonstrate your support for the work that we do and you help build an accountable and well-governed organisation. We also use our members as a possible source to recruit to our Board.
Membership for Ordinary members is $50.00 per annum, which will assist us greatly in meeting client needs. Corporate membership is $150 and Affiliated Friends of ASeTTS membership is FREE.
For further information on membership please email us here.
Join now by completing and sending in the application form.
- Ordinary Member – for individuals, full voting rights, $50.00 per annum.
- Affiliated Friends of ASeTTS – for individuals not wishing to vote and keep up to date with ASeTTS achievements, no voting rights, no cost.
- Corporate Membership – for ogranisations, full voting rights for a single nominated representative of the organisation (who cannot be an Affiliated Member of ASeTTS), $150.00 per annum.
As a full member (what we call ‘Ordinary Member’) and Corporate member of ASeTTS, you will:
- Enjoy full voting rights at the Annual General Meeting and Special General Meetings.
Plus for all types of membership:
- Receive the Annual Report and other publications.
- Be invited to attend a variety of events during the year.
- Maintain a connection with the work that we do through regular Facebook and newsletter updates.
Contact us today to become a volunteer! We need your help! Ph: 08 9227 2700
Volunteering with ASeTTS
Volunteering with ASeTTS positively contributes to the improvement of lives of refugee survivors of torture and trauma. Many volunteers currently donate their time, skills and expertise through a diverse range of roles. We welcome new volunteers to volunteering opportunities of both short and long-term commitment.
Becoming a Volunteer
If you are interested in becoming an ASeTTS volunteer, contact us! Prospective volunteers will be provided with volunteer information and will learn about the work of ASeTTS in the sector, what opportunities for volunteering are available, and the process for becoming involved.
Attendees can be provided with all necessary application forms and training. After completion of paperwork and training, volunteers will then be eligible to participate in volunteering.
To find out more contact us on 9227 2700 or if you are ready to volunteer, download, complete and forward our Volunteering Expression of Interest Form to us here!
ASeTTS are currently not able to accept requests for Student Placement.
We are working towards a Student Placement Plan with the ASeTTS CEO, Ms. Merissa Van Der Linden. We do want to continue our working relationship with students once internal operational capacity has been reviewed.
ASeTTS provides a variety of student placements. We are committed to providing opportunities for students to be placed at ASeTTS so that they may increase their understanding of the impact of torture and trauma and the refugee experience and enhance their skills and knowledge in relation to providing effective services to this client group. We may provide short, medium or long-term placements – depending on the placement requirements and our program capacity and needs.
ASeTTS receives a large number of requests for student placements from WA, interstate and internationally from a wide range of disciplines including psychology, social work, rehabilitation counselling, occupational therapy, art therapy, youth work and community development.
Our aim is to provide a quality experience for the student whilst maintaining a clear benefit to ASeTTS as a not for profit organisation. However, we have limited capacity to take students and placements are in high demand and competitive.
Process for Applying for Student Placement
Placement opportunities at ASeTTS are limited. We generally have many more requests from students than there are places available.
All requests for placements must come in writing from the University or TAFE teacher/academic supervising the student (i.e. not students directly). You are advised to apply well in advance (preferably at least 2 months) to maximise the chance of a placement. All enquiries regarding student placements should be sent here. Interested students should ask the staff member responsible for organising student field placements to email the request for placement to email@example.com at least two months before their proposed placement. All students require a current National Police Clearance.
Include in application:
- Student’s name;
- Name of course and stage student is at (i.e. Bachelor of Social Work, Year 4);
- Duration and dates of placement, including number of hours required each week or overall;
- Information about the learning objectives for the student while on placement;
- Information about the supervisory responsibilities of ASeTTS, including any assessment or reports required;
- The student’s current CV;
- Whether or not the student holds a valid driver’s licence and has access to a vehicle (this may be necessary depending on the nature of the placement);
- Copy of current National Police Clearance. A copy of a valid Working with Children check (if available and applicable).