This workshop is focused on the unique challenges of working clinically with children from refugee backgrounds under six years of age and their parents/caregivers who have experienced war and violence. It will explore how direct and indirect traumatic experiences impact on the mother and child pre- and post-natally. Consideration will be given to influences such as the developing nervous system, memory and attachment, potential delays in all areas of development as a result of the complex interactions of refugee-related trauma, ways to overcome barriers to engaging young children from refugee backgrounds and their parents in therapy; the importance of balancing structure with child-centred / relationship based following of the child, regulating emotions, using play, music and movement. Attention will also be given to how to act as a role model, mentor and supporter for parents. The workshop will discuss incorporating the family’s cultural beliefs in therapy and how to integrate an interpreter into sessions.
- The refugee experience
- Considerations and challenges of refugee trauma work
- Clinical implications of torture and refugee trauma manifestations
- Effective cross-cultural engagement
- Comprehensive refugee clinical assessment
- Formulating a case and treatment plan for refugee trauma
- Trauma treatment strategies
- Ending treatment and measuring clinical outcomes
Self care in the face of highly traumatised clients
Larina Bromley, ASeTTS Counsellor/Advocate
When: 13 August 2020, 9:30am to 4:00pm (Please note: This training is covered over two days)
Where: ASeTTS Perth, 286 Beaufort Street, Perth, Western Australia
Private – $389.00
Government – $280.00
NGO – $240.00
Students – $180.00
Unwaged – $180.00
- Registrations will close Monday 10 August at 12:00pm
- ASeTTS reserves the right to cancel events which do not achieve minimum participation, in which case all fees will be refunded.
- Registrations may be cancelled up to 14 working days prior to the day of the event with a full refund.
- Cancellations giving less than 10 working days notice will incur a 30% cancellation fee to cover administration costs.
- Fees will not be refunded for cancellations the day before or on the day of the event or for non-attendance.
- Organisations may send alternative candidates to attend the event if the original candidate is not available.
- By returning this form to register for ASeTTS Training you are consenting to the terms and conditions of payment and refunds
To register your interest, email us here